Whew, time flies when you’re keeping busy! A lot has happened since our last posts, but in all honesty there is not a lot that makes for interesting visual progress.. As we mentioned in our previous post, Mike is spending a good amount of time trying to line up the perfectly level and plane new frames with the not-so-perfect existing structure. Without going into too much detail, a lot of it ultimately comes down to, lots of shimming, compromising, a little give and take, and that is something we expected with a house of this age, it’s “quirky” 🙂
This is what the back of the house looked like as of last weekend:
On the inside, the kitchen beam is in place and looks awesome (and we’ll keep it exposed)!
The new toilet is (finally) mounted, quite a job to get it just right, also because the drain location is right over a support beam in the crawl space..
Old and new:
Our sink vanity will be wall-mounted, floating as well so cleaning our new bathroom should be a breeze 🙂 You can also see the rough in valves for shower and faucet in the above pic and the new Pex piping.
Then I also spent some more time in the crawl space digging up the old cast iron main sewer. We will tie in the new drains/vents here so I expected I had to cut into it but we got lucky and there is a coupling there already and the bolts aren’t even seized!
Should save us some time when we get to the stage when we can tie everything back in. That should hopefully be by the end of this weekend so we can get plumbing rough-in signed off on by the inspectors. I have a plumber coming in Thursday to help out with some hints/tips and make sure we get ready for inspection.
Next up then will be electrical and we need to get going on that as our deadline for everything should be the 12th or 13th so Mike can get his framing inspected and we can start sheetrock!
Busy times ahead, I’ll try to keep up with the blog as we go along!